Digital marketing is a word with which almost every human living in this era you would have come across. But, what are the basics of digital marketing. Do you really know what it exactly means?
Is digital marketing the same as online marketing?
Does digital marketing operate only via the internet?
In this article, we are going to learn the ABC of digital marketing. Let’s indulge!
WHAT is DIGITAL MARKETING?
Digital marketing is an act of advertising and selling your products or services using any kind of electronic device with the techniques of online marketing such as social media marketing, search marketing, and email marketing etc. Online marketing is a subset of digital marketing.
You can also use text messages and graphics and other multimedia as a tool for digital marketing.
The term Digital Marketing was first introduced in the 1990s. The digital market sparked with spotlights with the coming of the internet and the development of the Web 1.0 platform.
The Web 1.0 platform granted allowance for users to find the information they wanted but did not allow them to share this information over the web.
Until then, the marketers worldwide were still inconclusive of the digital platform. They were not sure if their strategies would work or not since the internet had not yet seen widespread data.
Nowadays, everything is turning digital, so as a marketer, it’s important to take advantage of this digital world with an online advertising presence.
Digital marketing generally targets all of its effort in a distributed manner. They use every digital platform to advertise their products/services.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF DIGITAL MARKETING?
Digital marketing can be classified as the following we’ll discuss here:
- SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO): Under SEO, the target is the ranking of their website in google search results.
To implement this, they simply target those keywords, quotes and phrases which are often searched by a consumer. And use them in the contents they create.
This is the algorithm for how SEO works.
Key Stat: 72% of online marketers consider high-quality content creation as the most efficient SEO tactic. (Source: Lauro Media)
- SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING: It includes everything that a business institute can do to go viral through social media channels (examples of social media platforms).
Everyone is familiar with social media, but in the view of a marketing influencer, it is a platform that can play a vital role in digital marketing.
A marketer approaches it in a very tactical and unified manner to represent their product/services.
Key stat: The social media users were counted as 448.0 million in India in the time of January 2021. (Source: DATAREPORTAL)
- CONTENT MARKETING: When you target the readers through your content creativity you actually convince them to become consumers of your market. There comes content marketing. It’s a form of marketing focused on creating, publishing, and distributing content for a targeted audience online.
Key stat: Content marketing statistics show 72% of B2B marketers and 76% of B2C marketers use video contents. (Source: optinmonster)
- EMAIL MARKETING: Other than social media and networking channels, e-mail is still one of the most effective marketing techniques.
It is one of the parts of content marketing, we can say. It is the act of sending a commercial message, typically to a group of people, using email.
Key stat: 21% of sent emails are opened within the first hour of delivery. (Source: kinsta)
- PAY-PER-CLICK MARKETING: PPC is like pay on every click marketing. It’s a source of internet or is an online advertising model in which advertisers pay each time a user clicks on one of their online ads.
Key stat: 50% of people arriving at a retailers site from paid ads are more likely to buy than those who came from an organic link. (Source: PPC protect)
HOW DO I BECOME A DIGITAL MARKETER?
There’s nothing you cannot do if you have a passion full of desires. If talking about digital marketing, it requires no qualification or equivalent degree. There are so many different points you must know to become a good digital marketer.
- INCREASE NETWORKING
- ATTEND EVENTS AND WEBINAR
- TRY TO COLLAB/WORK INITIALLY WITH RECENTLY OPENED STARTUPS.
- KEEP YOURSELF UPDATED WITH THE BEHAVIOUR OF MARKET
- CONNECT TO SOCIAL MEDIA FOR YOUR PRODUCT/SERVICES.
WHAT ARE THE 5 D’s OF DIGITAL MARKETING?
The essential 5 D’s of digital marketing plays an important role in the game called business. You can say that it’s like a secret mantra for consistent growth rate of gain in any digital marketing, as it provides an efficient interaction between your services and targeted audience. So, let’s explore this section:
- Digital devices: Digital Devices include the devices that people go through almost every day. These can be used to target an audience for marketing purposes. Electronic devices are a part or source of this category.
- Digital platform: It includes the platform with which the audience interacts with each other regularly. It can be social media, Search engines, Websites.
- Digital media: It includes paid promotions or channels owned helps to reach more and more audience. It includes Online advertising, social media marketing, Messaging, Email marketing.
- Digital data: Digital data in the marketing refers to the data tools which are used to analyse and report on marketing data collected through the digital channels on which your product/service holds a presence.
- Digital technology: Digital technology refers to the technology used with the motive to promote marketing. This may include AI (Artificial Intelligence), AR (Augmented reality), VR (Virtual reality)
- Philip Kotler is the father of digital marketing.
- Pradeep Chopra is the biggest digital marketer of India.
- The average salary for a Digital Marketing beginner level/fresher is about Rs 3.0 Lacs to 4.0 Lacs.
- Combine videos with full-page ads to increase engagement at a high percentage.